April-May China Bulletin

The State Council issued the draft Administration for Regulation of Entry and Exit of Foreigners, expected to become effective July 1, 2013, building on the Exit-Entry Administration Law of China [see June 2012 China Bulletin] increasing the number of types of ordinary visas from eight to 12.  The most significant change will be that these regulations add an R visa as part of China’s effort to attract foreign talent.  The R visa will be issued to foreign professionals who are either highly skilled or whose skill is urgently needed by China.  Foreign holders of the new R1 visa will have the opportunity to apply for a five-year residency permit, while holders of the R2 visa will be allowed multiple entry and stay in China of up to 180 days.

Questions?  Contact Allan at for a complimentary response.

Leave a Reply