ALLAN K.A. MARSON, LL.M. __Attorney-at-Law
STRATEGY LAW, LLP – Special Counsel
A former partner with one of the top law firms in the world, Baker & McKenzie, in their Beijing, New York and Palo Alto offices (1992 to 2011), U.S. legal consultant for the Taiwanese law firm of Liang & Partners in Taipei, Taiwan, (1985 to 1991), and partner with the intellectual property firm of Ishimaru & Associates in San Jose, Calirornia (2011 to 2016), attorney Marson, now principal of Marson Law, has a hard-earned reputation for providing timely and cost-effective legal solutions in China for U.S. companies, and in the U.S. for Chinese companies.
Mr. Marson’s background is company formation and acquisition and his day-to-day focus is the legal challenges companies face while operating in China and the U.S. Mr. Marson regularly advises on corporate establishment, acquisition, trademarks, technology licensing and global mobility in the U.S. and China, and also on related tax issues in China. He has managed Internet, technology licensing, fund custodian and tax compliance surveys and contracts for U.S. clients in other East Asian countries, India, and countries of the Middle East and Eastern Europe through a network of local consultants and attorneys.
- Mr. Marson was conferred a J.D. from the School of Law of Lewis & Clark College in Portland, Oregon in 1982, and an LL.M. focussing on Chinese law and financial services from Columbia University in New York in 1992.
- He is admitted to practice law in California, New York and Washington State only.
- In addition to practicing law as outside counsel, he operated a residential construction business prior to entering law school, clerked for County Counsel (Multnomah County, OR) and District Attorney (Clackamas County, OR), and served in-house for a national retail sales company.
- He speaks and reads Mandarin Chinese and has a working knowledge of written French. With assistance of legally-trained native Chinese speakers, Mr. Marson provides quality Chinese-English and English-Chinese legal translations.
- Mr. Marson had a long-history of organizing promotional speaking events for Baker & McKenzie. He speaks and writes on China-related legal topics, including trade and investment, intellectual property licensing, global mobility and related Chinese tax challenges. Presentations in 2015 include IP and expatriate tax updates in China for Bloomberg BNA and an Exporting to China update sponsored by the U.S. International Trade Administration and Dominican University. In April, 2016 he spoke on the panel for China In and Outs: Investing and Fundraising for the Palo Alto Area Bar Association.
- Mr. Marson also has a history of volunteering for public service, from serving on a crisis line during law school, to mentoring law students in China, case managing at CityTeam in San Jose, CA, and working with orphans in Harare and Chegutu, Zimbabwe.